As a former teacher and school administrator, I love doing school visits to talk about writing and books with students! My visits are most appropriate for middle and high school students, and I can customize presentations to your curriculum needs.
School Visits and Appearances
As a former teacher and school administrator, I love doing school visits to talk about writing and books with students! My visits are most appropriate for middle and high school students, and I can customize presentations to your curriculum needs. Schools may schedule up to four events per day, including any combination of the following:
- School Assembly
- Classroom/library presentation
- Breakout sessions/workshops
- Student lunch, interview with school newspaper, parent/teacher discussion, or book signing
Although students do not have to purchase books as part of an event, copies of my books should be available to students in advance of any school visit so students can become familiar with my work. If a school wishes to sell books as part of the visit, pre-event sales can be arranged through a local bookstore or with the publisher. Schools and libraries may order books at a discounted rate by visiting The Scholastic Teacher Store or by calling 1-800-SCHOLASTIC.
The Author's World
I begin my presentation by discussing the perception of authors vs. the reality of the writing process. I describe my process of expanding the real details of my life into a fictional story. My talk also includes thoughts on developing a positive self-image in the face of bullying. I stress the importance of overcoming the self-critical voices that keep writers and students from succeeding. I enjoy participation from the students and always leave time at the end for Q&As.
Publishing a Young Adult Novel: From Idea to Publication
Using my debut novel Skinny as an example, I discuss the path to publication. I share insights on how to polish a manuscript, query an agent, and market a publication after sale. I always leave time at the end for a Q&A to individualize content for specific audience needs.
Skype is a great way to connect with readers! I offer FREE 30 minute chat sessions via Skype with schools, libraries, and book clubs that have read my book(s) as my schedule permits. SKYPE sessions require a computer, a webcam with microphone, speakers, a large projection screen and an account with Skype.
Schedule and Fees
- Full day includes up to 4 presentations plus an author lunch/signing/parent night.
- Half day includes 1-2 back-to-back presentations.
- Multiple schools and libraries may also share travel cost. Additionally, 2 schools can share a day of visits if they are within reasonable driving distance.
Denver/Front Range and surrounding areas: $800 full day/ $400 half
Colorado (outside one hour radius of Denver): $1000 full-day/ $500 half
Out of State: $1200 per day plus travel accommodations (flight and lodging).
I offer discount visits to schools in need. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for eligibility and availability.
Writing Conferences and Book Festivals
I always enjoy participating in panel discussions on a variety of topics, keynotes, breakout sessions, signings, and more. When contacting about attending your conference or book festival, please let me know the following:
- Dates and times expected to be in attendance
- Any travel expenses, hotel accommodations, registration, and/or honorarium included
- Are books available for sale at the program? Even if the con/book festival does not provide monetary support, I may still wish to attend; please contact me with the details.